Because the battle enters its 502nd day, these are the principle developments.
Right here is the state of affairs on Monday, July 10, 2023.
- Ukraine’s deputy defence minister, Hanna Maliar, mentioned Ukraine was “consolidating” its positive factors amid heavy combating in two areas of the nation’s southeast and had registered “a sure advance” on Bakhmut’s southern flank.
- Russia’s defence ministry mentioned its forces had repelled Ukrainian advances close to Bakhmut, with combating made tough “not solely by the every day depth of fireside and battle, but in addition by topography. The road of contact runs between two hills”.
- Ukrainian’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy once more acknowledged that the counteroffensive was shifting extra slowly than he or his generals wished however that Ukrainian forces held the initiative. “All of us, we need to do it quicker as a result of day-after-day means new losses of Ukrainians. We’re advancing. We aren’t caught,” he mentioned in an interview with america broadcaster ABC, noting that the navy had overcome a “sort of stagnation” in earlier months. “We’d all like to see the counteroffensive achieved in a shorter time frame. However there’s actuality. At this time, the initiative is on our facet.”
- The demise toll from the Russian bombardment of the jap Ukrainian metropolis of Lyman rose to at the very least 9, with greater than a dozen folks injured. The top of the Ukrainian navy administration within the Donetsk area, Pavlo Kyrylenko, mentioned Russian forces had attacked town with rockets and intentionally focused residential blocks. Russia denies that it assaults civilians.
- Russian officers mentioned air defence techniques shot down 4 missiles – one over the Crimean Peninsula and three over Russia’s Rostov and Bryansk areas. No casualties had been reported.
- Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to Zelenskyy, mentioned cluster munitions had been “extraordinarily essential” for Ukraine and would assist “partially restore parity on the battlefield”. Podolyak added that Russia had been utilizing such munitions in Ukraine for greater than a 12 months.
- Russian International Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova condemned the US’s choice to provide Ukraine with cluster munitions, saying it was aimed toward prolonging the battle.
- US President Joe Biden will arrive in the UK on Monday the place he’ll hold talks with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who has been essential of the US transfer to ship cluster bombs to Ukraine.
- Germany’s President Frank-Walter Steinmeier mentioned Berlin couldn’t “block” the US from sending cluster bombs to Ukraine, regardless of its opposition to their use. Nonetheless, he famous that if Ukraine not had the means to defend itself or if these supporting the war-stricken nation backed down, “it might be the top of Ukraine”.
- Within the US, Democratic Senator Tim Kaine and Consultant Barbara Lee raised considerations over the cluster bomb choice. Kaine mentioned he had “some actual qualms” in regards to the transfer as a result of it might encourage different international locations to sidestep the worldwide conference barring the munitions. Nonetheless, he advised Fox Information, he appreciated that the federal government had “grappled with the dangers”.
- US President Joe Biden and Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan mentioned Sweden’s membership of NATO in a telephone name forward of Tuesday’s NATO summit. The White Home mentioned Biden conveyed his want to welcome Sweden into NATO as quickly as potential. The 2 males will maintain talks on the sidelines of the summit that can give attention to “Ukraine’s place in NATO, Sweden’s NATO membership, and the supply of F-16” fighter jets, Turkey mentioned.
- Russia mentioned it wished NATO to debate Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy plant on the summit, accusing Kyiv of inflicting “systematic infliction of injury” to the location. Moscow occupied the nuclear plant, Europe’s largest, shortly after it started its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.
- South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa confirmed that subsequent month’s BRICS summit, to which Russian President Vladimir Putin has been invited, will probably be “bodily” regardless of an arrest warrant for Putin issued by the Worldwide Legal Court docket.
- Ukrainian soccer membership Dynamo Kyiv accused Turkish facet Fenerbahce of being a membership “with out honour and conscience” after the crew travelled to Russia to play in a pre-season match. Russian groups had been suspended from participation in FIFA and UEFA competitions after the nation’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.