Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, August 15, 2023.
- Ukraine downed three waves of Russian missiles and drones concentrating on Odesa, the military stated. Fifteen drones and eight Kalibr-type sea-based missiles had been concerned within the assault. Falling particles from the destroyed weapons broken a pupil dormitory and a grocery store in Odesa’s metropolis centre, leaving three staff wounded.
- Russia stated its air defence techniques shot down unmanned aerial autos over its Belgorod area, the TASS information company reviews. It stated there have been no casualties or harm.
- Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu stated Russian weapons had been proving their effectiveness within the battle in opposition to Ukraine and that “much-hyped” Western arms had proven themselves to be “removed from excellent”.
- Ukraine reported fierce fighting alongside its complete entrance line and claimed “some success” in pushing again Moscow’s troops within the southeast of the nation. Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar stated Ukrainian troops had pushed ahead across the village of Staromaiorske, about 97km (60 miles) southwest of Russian-held Donetsk, and had been urgent on two fronts within the south.
- A Russian spokesperson in Ukraine’s Kherson area accused Kyiv’s forces of attacking a monastery within the village of Korsunka in addition to a college, TASS reported.
- Russia is equipping its new nuclear submarines with hypersonic Zircon missiles as a part of the nation’s efforts to spice up its nuclear forces, the RIA state information company reported, quoting Alexei Rakhmanov, chief govt officer of the United Shipbuilding Company (USC). Yasen-class submarines, also called Venture 885M, are nuclear-powered cruise missile submarines constructed to switch Soviet-era nuclear assault submarines as a part of a programme to modernise Russia’s fleet.
- The Russian rouble slid past 100 against the dollar, its lowest stage since March 23, 2022. The rouble has shed about 30 % of its worth in opposition to the greenback as imports rise and exports lower for the reason that full-scale invasion of Ukraine final 12 months. On Monday morning, knowledge from the Moscow Change confirmed the rouble buying and selling at 101.01 to the greenback, whereas in opposition to the euro, it fell to a close to 17-month low of 110.73.
- The US will ship Ukraine new army help value $200m. The package deal consists of air defence munitions, artillery rounds, anti-armour capabilities and mine-clearing gear, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken stated in an announcement.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy thanked the US for its determination to ship Kyiv the help package deal.
- Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal thanked Germany’s finance minister and authorities for his or her assist in monetary help and sanctions in opposition to Russia.
- Ukrainian presidential adviser, Mykhailo Podolyak, stated the supply of long-range missiles, such because the German Taurus missiles Kyiv has requested for, would cut back Russia’s fight capabilities by specializing in “the destruction of rear logistics – warehouses, transportation, gasoline”.
- Chinese language Defence Minister Li Shangfu will visit Russia and Belarus this week. “State Councillor and Defence Minister Li Shangfu will go to Russia to attend the eleventh Moscow Convention on Worldwide Safety, and go to Belarus,” a Chinese language defence ministry spokesperson stated.
- Russia’s Ministry of International Affairs stated staff of Russian establishments in Moldova – the embassy, commerce mission and Russian Centre of Science and Tradition – in addition to their relations have returned to Moscow. Final month, Moldova advised Russia to scale back its embassy presence in Chisinau, citing considerations about alleged Russian makes an attempt to destabilise the small state, which borders Romania and Ukraine.
- US Ambassador to Russia Lynne Tracy met with jailed Wall Avenue Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich in her third such go to since his March detention in Russia on espionage prices, which he denies, based on the newspaper.
- An ally of Russian opposition chief Alexey Navalny is on trial in Siberia on prices of making an “extremist organisation”, a court docket spokeswoman advised France’s AFP information company. Ksenia Fadeyeva, 31, is a former municipal deputy within the Siberian metropolis of Tomsk and headed Navalny’s political workplace within the metropolis.
- A serious basic in Ukraine’s safety service has been sentenced to 12 years in jail for prime treason, the German press company, dpa, reported. The intelligence officer was accused of gathering data and passing it on to Russia, the general public prosecutor’s workplace in Kyiv stated.
- Poland’s Inside Minister Mariusz Kaminski introduced that two Russian residents discovered “distributing propaganda supplies of the Wagner Group” have been detained in Warsaw and Krakow. “Each had been charged with … espionage and arrested,” Kaminski stated on social media.
Black Sea stress
- Ukraine condemned what it referred to as “provocative” Russian actions a day after a Russian warship fired warning pictures at a cargo vessel within the Black Sea.
- Romania goals to double the month-to-month transit capability of Ukrainian grain via the Danube River, the nation’s Transport Minister Sorin Grindeanu stated. Romania may improve Danube River transit capability by hiring extra workers to ease the passage of vessels and finalising connecting infrastructure tasks, Grindeanu advised reporters. Earlier than Russia pulled out of the Black Sea grain deal, the Danube ports accounted for a few quarter of Ukraine’s grain exports.
- The UK stated its fighter jets intercepted two Russian maritime patrol bomber plane in worldwide airspace north of Scotland, a NATO policing space. The UK stated its Storm jets routinely scrambled throughout such incidents to safe and safeguard its skies.
- Russia’s Ministry of Defence stated it scrambled a MIG-29 jet after a Norwegian air pressure airplane neared Russian airspace off its Arctic coast. Individually, the ministry stated Russian strategic bombers carried out routine flights over worldwide waters within the Arctic.
- Russia will ship S-400 anti-aircraft techniques to India inside an agreed timeframe, the Russian Interfax information company quoted a senior Russian defence export official as saying. India is the world’s largest weapons importer and nonetheless primarily makes use of Russian expertise for arms, however officers have expressed concern that Russia’s battle in Ukraine may delay deliveries.